Saturday, July 7, 2012

I'm so excited (from one Pointer Sister to another!)


It was pointed out to me yesterday that what I perhaps consider mundane or obvious may not be the case for those that have recently touched down on the these desert and dusty shores.  It's amazing the knowledge you start taking for granted, so I started thinking back to the 'finds' I found that have simply made my life easier. All great finds in Doha come through word of mouth and I'm over a year into our second stint but I still keep discovering new little treasures (if that's what you could call them?). 

As an expat, you will find yourself getting very excited about the little things, for example a grocery shop can be bliss but it can also be a nightmare involving 2-3 supermarkets just to get prune juice (cos you really need that here!), Vegemite (for the Aussies), Ribena, Weetbix, or a decent advocado/mango.  On this a word of warning, if you like a good dinner party, don't leave your shop until the last minute.  This has been known to put me in tears on a Thursday afternoon and politely calling my guests on the Friday and asking them to go and find some rocket for my salad!  Food and produce have improved dramatically since our last trip in 2005-2007.  The Centre, Mega Mart (near Ramada, aka 'mega wallet') was a saviour and probably still is, they stock the best range of baking goods, organics and condiments and their meat and fish is generally consistent.  However, since Spinneys (The Mall & The Pearl) entered the market, they have a little competition, although for a dinner party I will still always take a trip to Mega Wallet.  I'm also absolutely wrapt with Carrefour Market at Lagoona for the day to day.  Their fruit and vegies are just as good as Mega Mart and the drive is much more convenient. Meat is generally good, Aussie lamb and beef, but being a smaller store they do run out of options so morning shops are best.

Ok, so something for the mums out there.  Obviously kids spend a lot more time indoors here whether it be due to the heat or the dust so how do you keep little ones entertained when stuck in 4 walls.  When I discovered these two stores, it was a little sad at how excited I was.  Yes that excitement has died down but I keep going back for more.  We don't have an Officeworks, Roit Store or Deans Art here in Doha. Nothing close to it.  The first place you hear of is Al Jarir Bookstore, in the heart of the busiest intersection of town with 10 carparks, oh it's fun, make sure you try it, any time or the day or evening, it's the same traffic jam that can be more hassle that it's worth.  Make sure you are having a good day, it may change once you hit the car park but you will be in calmer spirits to handle the experience.  If that's not what you are looking for, try one of these.

Side note:  I was going to post a pic of each of these because that makes it so much easier when you are driving along with a Land Cruiser up your bum, flashing his high beams at you, when your lost or trying to find some shop with an Arabic name that means nothing BUT... the look of these shops wouldn't make for a very attractive photo on my blog :) so please accept my directions and a pic of my recent purchases! Eco Safe Finger Paint and poster paint (30QR each) @Al Qayyim



Al Qayyim Book Store - Al Markhiya (Between McDonalds and Burger King) - park out the front, go in the morning or mid afternoon, they close between 12.45pm and 4ish?, but if you haven't realised, everywhere in Doha becomes a traffic jam from 6-7pm onwards and this place would be no exception.  The sign is large above the shop so you can't really miss it.  Upstairs they sell kids tables, toys (crappy Disney characters stuff) but head down stairs to their 'stationery'.  It's not large by all means but you will find plenty of art and craft supplies for kids including a large range of 'SES Creative', Danish made non toxic paints, playdo and crafty things for boys and girls (ie beading, plaster moulds, stamp sets etc) and a decent range of stickers and general stationery.  If you consider yourself a bit of an 'Artist' they have professional paint supplies and all sizes of canvas for you to paint lovely shades of desert sand and bougainvillea.

Al Ranaq Stationery - There are several stores around Doha.  I have personally been to the one at the Souks (opposite the material souk) and the one behind the KFC (opposite Al Ahli).  I'm sorry for the lack of addresses but this is the way it works here in Doha.  If you need any more specific information on this location, just make a comment and I will be more specific.  In fact I could do a map but I don't have time to do that today. :)  Al Ranaq (I'll call this one KFC) is predominantly stationery, great for card, paper, stickers, gift bags, glue, paint & brushes.  Al Ranaq (Souk) is not so much stationery but I think has the worlds largest supply of scrunchies (you know the hair things from the 80's) and hair clips.  If you are into craft, this is for you.  Feathers, ribbons, wool, cross stitch frames, decorative bits and pieces and sequins, oh the sequins!  Al Ranaq stores are CHEAP!  I stock up on all my poster paper, stickers, ribbon, glue etc and walk out with bag loads, all for under QR100 ($25-$30).  I have never walked out of Officeworks with that sort of receipt!

Watch this space for more enlightenment soon and if you are a newbie and you don't know where to buy Prune Juice, drop me a comment and I'll try and help you out, that's if I haven't purchased all the bottles sitting on the shelf!  I may give you one of mine?

No comments:

Post a Comment